Length of cabling in a ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to have sockets installed around my back garden as I am having it paved and a summer house built. Can I have the existing ring main extended to take in the new sockets, using suitable cable and waterproof sockets? also as the garden is quite large is there a limit to the length of cabling that can be used in a ring main. Many thanks - Sub06

Sponsored Links
Hi,

While you probably could extend the ring main, its not the way you want to do it, especially with a large garden.

The main things to think about in a garden are weather protection and rcd protection.

The best option is likely to be to run a new circuit from your consumer unit to cover just the garden sockets. Depending on distance, location etc steel wired armoured cable may be the best option. It may well be easier or more cost effective to run a radial circuit rather than a ring.

A lot depends on your house earthing, state of existing consumer unit etc. so more details on that would allow more detailed advice.

The limit of cabling is determined by the voltage drop and what you will have plugged into the sockets, but unless there are many high powered heaters or other high current using devices plugged in you are likely to be able to cover everything with one cable, it will be choosing the right size of cable etc that will require the expertise.

Personally I would advise getting at least one local electrician round to look at things - they should be able to tell you what can and what can't be done.

However, if you have any more questions, come back and someone will add further advice.

p.s. I like the MK masterseal sockets as the cover can shut and make them weatherproof with the plugs inserted into the sockets - many of the cheaper ones are only weatherproof with nothing plugged in and the cover firmly shut.

Wickes do a cheaper equivalent, although the sockets are not switched.

Hope that Helps

Gavin

Thank you very much for your detailed advice, I am very grateful. regards Sub06

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back