length of flat roof joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just starting off the process of planning a rear extension.

At the max depth it will be 5m, and will have a flat roof with some sort of roof windows (as pictured below) which weighs about 55kg each for a 800mm x 800mm

Will any wood joists span that distance safely and cater for a roof window, or will I need an i-beam to split the distance?

$T2eC16VHJGoE9nuQffKWBRLeDuqM0w~~60_12.JPG

Sponsored Links
If I'm not mistaken 220x75's if set at 400mm spacings will give you a 5.8m maximum span. Local BCO can probably confirm for you though?

If I'm not mistaken 220x75's if set at 400mm spacings will give you a 5.8m maximum span. Local BCO can probably confirm for you though?

Cheers

As the window is wider then 400mm, would the joists either side be doubled up, just as with velux windows?

Sponsored Links
As a guide 75x220 @ 400c/c is probably about right.. but you may well end up with triple trimmers each side.. 5m is a long span even for a roof you dont want it too spongy

As a guide 75x220 @ 400c/c is probably about right.. but you may well end up with triple trimmers each side.. 5m is a long span even for a roof you dont want it too spongy

I guess adding a steel to shorten the lengths would stop the'bounce', but would mean I need a pillar along each wall in order to get a 150mm bearing

You may not need 150 bearing.. 100 is about minimum without some careful building works..

Look into TJI or JJI joists.. chances are they will be cheaper and they are alot better at the long spans..

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yep like those.. but you would need to get it designed.. there are different grades for each depth that can take different loads.. the basic 220 deep joist probably isnt suitable for 5m..

I think they work out similar price to the 9x2 joists but they weigh considerably less.. just adding options..

Yep like those.. but you would need to get it designed.. there are different grades for each depth that can take different loads.. the basic 220 deep joist probably isnt suitable for 5m..

I think they work out similar price to the 9x2 joists but they weigh considerably less.. just adding options..

Thanks

House being measured up in 8th feb. Hoping by end if feb to have some draft plans

I like the look of that skylight what make is it.

Not sure mate.

My uncle got one fitted recently to his single storey extension. 2x1m and brings in a lot of light. He got his from a local place where he got his bifold doors from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back