Length of floor notch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I can't seem to find anyway on regs that limits the length of a notch in a floor joist...

So my joist is 175mm deep and 3300mm span. I believe this allows me a notch 22mm deep between 330mm and 825mm in from the wall.

However, what I cant see is where it says how long a single notch can be...?

Sponsored Links
That`s because it doesn`t need a length limit :idea: once a notch is cut it effectively reduces the height of the joist

So I can't seem to find anyway on regs that limits the length of a notch in a floor joist...

So my joist is 175mm deep and 3300mm span. I believe this allows me a notch 22mm deep between 330mm and 825mm in from the wall.

However, what I cant see is where it says how long a single notch can be...?

just notch or drill to your hearts content... it is not going to collapse....

unless you are a complete and utter ****

but hey ho... :D

Sponsored Links
That`s because it doesn`t need a length limit :idea: once a notch is cut it effectively reduces the height of the joist

how is that.... :D :D :D length... but who cares...

people panic about whatever they do...

notch a six inch joist throught the middle of the span,,,and then try and snap it...

good luck... :LOL:

Its no longer in the latest regs, it refers users to the Trada tables which were conveniently always written in the now superseded regs from 92. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_A_1992.pdf 1B6

but as you know the tables are there to satisfy themselves....

was expecting the masses telling me off :(

surely common sense prevails... and although quoting is the easieast scenario we all know the truth...

in the real world.... how does grade 16 or 24 differ...

and the chap in the merchants will just throw the nearest on the waggon... and you will have an invoice stating it complies...

:cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back