No Notch - what's the solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Looking for some help. Pic attached shows two 22mm rad pipes coming out of the hallway (concrete floor) into suspended timber floor and are messing with my plans to run a joist along the wall where they come out. The joists are 100mm which means I can notch max 12.5mm from them. However the top of the joist needs to sit at least just above the top of the pipe - that would require say a 25mm notch, double the Eurocode recommendations.
So how can I get that joist in close to the wall? Notching seems out of the question, any thoughts really appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210831_210052.jpg
    20210831_210052.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
OMG!
I don't know what we'd do without a Notch..... he he... (in forum joke Gizzy, you won't get it :) )

Can you drain down, cut near the top of the pipes, have holes in the joist and fit it over them then reconnect the pipes at the top with a new fitting?

I'd need to look at drilling guidelines but I don't think that would meet them - think holes have to be equidistant from top & bottom edges and 3 diameters apart (would need to measure pipes). But suppose I could see about cutting pipes and repositioning them so they are centre and meet the spacings. Nothing is ever straightforward

Sponsored Links
Possibly a stupid question, but can you move the joist a bit further out?

Or treat it like a loft hatch and slap some noggins between it and it's neighbours and another bit of timber slightly inset between them.

I do not know if this meets building standards in any way.

Moving the pipes may be a better option, putting a dogleg into them etc.

Moving the joist out further isn't an option, just out of pic the pipes tee off left and right and are taking up that space, so I need to get the pipes through or under the joist. Think the only options are taking pipes straight through middle of joist (if that works out in line with BC guidelines) or somehow cutting the pipes before they exit, dropping them under and then back up the other side of the joist.

What is the span and spacing of the 100mm joists?

How far along the span does the notch need to be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back