length of tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electricity meter is in a cupboard in a bedroom and is quite a nuisance when the man comes to read it,
We have just arranged to have the meter changed as they say it is coming to the end of its life (old dial type).
What I wish to know is, the cupboard backs onto the hallway is it possible to have the meter placed on the other side of the wall with the service cut-out and consumer unit still in place in the other room i.e. just extend the tails through the wall for the meter.
This would mean the tails would need to be around 1metre long from the service fuse then back through the wall to the unit, is there any regulation stating the maximum length of the meter tails ?
Do you think if I drill the holes and put a board up the guy will put it in the hall for me (for a few quid)
I hope this all makes sense
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
as I'm not a meter installer I can't say for certain the regs concerning the location of meters, but the max length for unprotected tails is 3m.. then you need to fuse down and possibly use armoured..

I can't see them objecting if it makes reading it easier for them but you can only ask..

buy 3M or 25mm "tails" in anticipation and put the hole in and the board up..
the worst scenario is that he says no and you have a board to take down and a hole to patch..

Do you think if I drill the holes and put a board up the guy will put it in the hall for me
Highly unlikely.

The length of the tails won't be a problem, however the meter and cutout should be in the same place, not completely separate in different rooms.

The options are have the cutout moved to the other side of the wall with the meter, or the DNO might agree to have a second unfused cutout installed adjacent to the meter in the hallway. Either way, the meter changing person won't be able to do anything.

Thanks for your comments why an un-fused cutout ?
I’m working on the assumption that the new meter will be the new slim digital type and as I would like it in the hall it would need to be boxed in and be as slim as possible with that in mind how big (slim) is a un-fused cut-out ?
If I fix the board and supply a new cut-out and tails how do I go about getting it all connected i.e. can it be done by a sparks or is it a job for my supplier ?
The other option that comes to mind is removing a few bricks from the wall creating a small hatch so the meter can be read from the hallway then the cut-out and meter would still be in the same room although this would mean turning the meter at a right angle so it could be seen through the wall and this would mean putting a meter board on some sort of frame would this be a alternative worth thinking about ?
Its just that im getting a bit fed up with the guy who comes to read the thing turning up early in the morning in all weathers expecting to trample through my kids bedroom with dirty shoes (im in a bungalow that’s the reason for the strange layout).

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Your problem is that the DNO see this kind of thing as a sales opportunity, so that if you ask the office they will want to charge several hundreds of pounds to do it. They would move the whole lot, not just a bit.

I think you need to be a bit canny here and try a charm offensive on the installer that comes round. also make it as easy as possible for him to do.

If he won't play ball, it will be a case of paying the fee that they charge. Most people I have met have found it too much to be worth doing.

Tea, chocky biscuits and a chat is your best bet

Martin

So if I make a board stickling out at a right angle from the existing meter board inside the cupboard would this be a suitable way to mount the meter ? Or is it a stipulation that it is to be fixed to a solid wall ?
I can then cut a small doorway in the side of the cupboard to enable the man to read the meter when he comes.
So just to clarify all the mains etc are in front of you when you look in the cupboard I would like the meter to face the side so the meter can bee seen from the right hand side where I would like to put a new small door.
The metre would need to be moved onto this new board at around 1ft to the right
Will the meter fixer object to this ? (Or can it be done by a sparks after the new meters in place ?

Have you not tried asking your supplier if they will fit a new meter than can be read remotely? This would solve all of your problems, it seems.

Thanks for a quick reply but that was over my head could you clarify, as I have never heard of such a thing ????
How do they work ? Do all suppliers do them ? I live near Margate Kent if it helps.

Thanks for a quick reply but that was over my head could you clarify, as I have never heard of such a thing ????
How do they work ? Do all suppliers do them ? I live near Margate Kent if it helps.

I don't know how many suppliers are currently fit this sort of equipment, but generally these are referred to as 'Smart Meters', and they use telemetry to send your electricity readings back to the supplier remotely without the need to ever have anyone visit your property. There are plans to have these installed in all homes within the next ten years.

or there is a small round thing fitted outside that the meter readers "zap" with their little computer thing and get the reading that way..

Thanks for all the info
I will make some enquires
But looking on the worst case what about my turning the meter idea

So if I make a board stickling out at a right angle from the existing meter board inside the cupboard would this be a suitable way to mount the meter ? Or is it a stipulation that it is to be fixed to a solid wall ?
I can then cut a small doorway in the side of the cupboard to enable the man to read the meter when he comes.
I think they would want it fixed to a solid wall.

Will the meter fixer object to this ? (Or can it be done by a sparks after the new meters in place ?
The meter is the property of your energy provider so they will be the ones to do any movement - unfortunately it can't be completed by a spark. Best bet is give them a call and see what options they have in relation to remote meters or moving its location. Prepare to be sent round the houses though before you actaully get to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about. :cry:

Thanks for your comments why an un-fused cutout ?
I’m working on the assumption that the new meter will be the new slim digital type and as I would like it in the hall it would need to be boxed in and be as slim as possible with that in mind how big (slim) is a un-fused cut-out ?
A second one would be unfused, as the original one would remain in place, with the fuse in it.
The second one would be to isolate the meter when required. It would normally be red in colour, and will be a similar size to the existing one (assuming the existing one is plastic).

If I fix the board and supply a new cut-out and tails how do I go about getting it all connected i.e. can it be done by a sparks or is it a job for my supplier ?
The DNO will supply the board, cutout and any other items required, and they are the only ones who can do the work.

Another potential problem - if you reques to have the cutout and meter moved, they may only agree to move it outside of the property into a wall cabinet. Not only will this cost significantly more, you will also have to pay for additional wiring from the new location to your consumer unit (or have the consumer unit moved as well).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back