lengthening fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas on extending a fence post. The existing posts are 4\\\" x 3\\\" and I have had a few one foot lengths cut to attach to the top of the existing posts to hold a trellis. The problem I have is attaching it. The metpost extenders only take square posts. I was thinking of screwing them in at an angle from each side, or maybe nail plates on each side of the post. Does this sound OK. I am a keen DIYer but have no experience with woodwork so would appreciate any help.

benandis, please note 1a which is here your other 2 posts (same question) have been removed

Sponsored Links
Have you considered something like dowels and glue ?

With 3x4 posts,the "dowels" could be pretty big,and remeber to check the glue is waterproof (suitable for exterior use)
Skew nailing/screwing,or plates and screws (as you suggested) would both work - it's all a matter of how you want it to look.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
I am thinking of skew screwing the posts in as it is a lot easier and presume it will be quite strong.
What length of screw would you suggest and how many. Two on each side?
Thanks in advance

Metapost do a post extender, try your local fencing suppliers. ;)

Sponsored Links
Or newel post bolt with waterproof glue. Available in most diy stores under "Stair Accessories".
3006_tm75.gif

You could make an oversize wooden cap on the ex-post then the extended post on top so the rain run off the cap and not into the post where it join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back