Lentil for structural wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My 1st post of many on here :D
I have brought a 1st floor flat in a 3-floor apartment block.

I want to knock one wall down (not completely, just for a standard door way) into another room to make it a walk-in wardrobe as the existing cupboard is pretty redundant and useless.

Its a structural wall and obviously with a flat above me I am worried about doing this but feel its beneficial for the flat. I've had a friend who works for a structural company who has said it can be done with the right strength lentil and a structural engineer to do the work.

I can do this work myself and have done in the past but never on this level with so much weight above this lentil.

Does anyone have any experience of this or some sites I can look at for research or structural companies that can assist me in doing this?

Many Thanks for any advice given :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
You might find lentils a bit weak, lintels are better ;) but it sounds like you need far more, including a SE if you really do mean knock down

BTW, do you own the freehold? Does your lease allow this?

You can see I need help :cry:

Don't own the freehold, but the lease does allow this work, I've had the management company around to check.

You will need Building Control approval for this work, and they will want calculations for the lintel, which can often be provided by the lintel supplier for simple jobs.

Get your freeholder's consent in writing before you start the work, i.e. a signed/stamped copy of the drawings as approved by them, so there is no confusion later.

Sponsored Links
Wise words from OwainDIYer, Perhaps a semi-retired structural engineer might be willing to get involved, at a reasonable fee of course, if you know of one that is...pinenot :unsure:

What you propose is probably perfectly doable for a DIY'er. Not quite sure if the tenant above you would agree, perhaps you might ask them for a view?

As we so often ask of original posters like yourself, dealing with lintels and load bearing walls - why not post some pics of whats existing?

If the opening is only to be a standard door width - say about 3ft wide - it will not be carrying as much weight as you think.

You would need just 1 prop on that width, and a simple 100x65 pre-cast concrete lintel (or lentil if you prefer!) would do.

As for calculations, you shouldn't really need them for such a small opening. If you do it through Building Control to get a certificate, most inspectors would probably accept such a lintel on that small span without SE input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back