Shower niche in brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to build shower niche in brick wall in a first floor shower. I have choice of 2 walls, one is external cavity brick wall and other is internal single skin brick wall which I believe is not load bearing.

Which one is easier to do with? And an outline procedure on how to do?

I understand I need lentil if done on external wall, what type? Does the cavity need any treatment?

Is a lentil needed in the internal wall assuming it's not lead bearing if matters?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Lintel would be needed in an internal brick wall.
Easiest way for me would be batten out the wall with 3 by 2 treated, trimming around any required niche, then cement board or whatever your favoured board is, then you can apply the waterproofing tapes and tile, or whatever finish you're after.

Sponsored Links
You can get premade shower niche's rather than faffing about with cement board and taping etc. I wouldn't cut a hole in either wall I would stud the wall out and build it into the stud lining.

You can get premade shower niche's rather than faffing about with cement board and taping etc. I wouldn't cut a hole in either wall I would stud the wall out and build it into the stud lining.
I didn't mention, I will be using premade shower niche

What's wrong in cutting a hole in the wall? I will be using concrete lentil as said above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back