Leonard 722 Thermostatic Shower - No Temp Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Leonard 722 thermostatic shower which runs from the Worcester combi boiler. I understand that Leonard were taken over by Mira in the late 70's? and that this shower then became the Mira 722. So obviously, if that's the case, mine is a good few years old. We've used it for about 13 years and it's performed well, and I really like it to be honest, but has a couple of issues, in that it can be difficult to get warm and stay warm. It can take some 'messing' with the flow control to get it just right and when done so, the temperature will often stay ok, but will sometimes go cold. Also, the temperature control does nothing. For example, you can turn it to the hottest setting and adjust the flow to get it just right. But if you turn the temperature control all the way to cold, the temperature will stay the same. And vice-versa, if it's cold, turning the temp up does nothing. The only way we can control the temp is by adjusting the flow, if you turn the flow up higher it instantly goes cold, and down again to get some warmth. I'm wondering if the cartridge has gone? Or if a service kit will help? Or even if those (which are available for the Mira 722) will work with the Leonard 722. It'd be a shame to change the shower, if I can get this one working perfectly again. Everything else with the water/boiler etc. is fine. Any thoughts appreciated please, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Try cleaning between the bi-metalic spiral strip inside the valve body first

they can scale up over the years and stick causing the problem you have,

As far as i'm aware the Leonard design was not changed when Mira took them over and the valve was just rebranded as a Mira 722 therefore spares for the Mira version should be fine.
As jas says you could try stripping it and cleaning the thermostat coil and also the inside of the valve. The holes are quite small inside and could become partially blocked. Lightly smear the valve parts (not the coil) with silicon grease when putting back together.
Also check on inlet to valve for filters and check they are clean.
Btw These were excellent showers. Never saw one for a while now though.

Thanks very much for your replies guys, It gives good peace of mind that these parts are still available.
I too think that this is a great shower, although 30 years old-ish, and if I could get it to work perfectly again, life will be sweet once more.
I think that I will have a go at what you guys suggest.

Sponsored Links
Moderator - might I make a suggestion, why not just edit the post and take the offending article out? The poster gave me some advice concerning the cartridge I think, but with you deleting the whole post, I've lost his advice. Would it be worth considering editing such posts instead of deleting them? Just a thought.

Did get a Leonard cartridge last year, so still available.
Contact Mira and supply full details, they will supply you with a part number which you then take to a factor/wholesaler who can order for you. Get a name and reference from Mira just in case wrong part is supplied, it makes a return easier for factor/wholesaler.

Among others, there is a "doctor" from edinburgh who can be consulted for parts :!:

Thanks for all the advice. I will do as suggested and hopefully bring it back to 100%.

Well, it looks like my cherished Leonard/Mira 722 shower is going to the shower scrapheap in the sky, it's as much to fix it as a new one is. So, new it is. I'd certainly go with Mira again, my shower is 30 years old and you can still buy the parts from them, so any Mira recommendations? Everyone seems to rave about the Excel so I'm considering that, but it's a little higher than I was looking at. My combi boiler by the way, is a Worcester 240.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back