level up uneven backgronds ready for tileing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi every one

pls could you help me out with this problem ive started a new job prep works for tilers

1st backgrounds are drywall and existing plaster / tile ad

when i remove the old tiles :evil: and adv im lleft with a uneven wall that needs to be made flat
i have been using bonding to try and level up the wall ready for the teiler the problem im having is that when i have applied a coat of bonding over it i try and use my feather edge to make flat and level but the bonding just ripples up and when i try to re trowel it flat it gose lumpy so when you look at it looks worst they i started i no im doing something wrong but what the forman keeps ringing me have you done the next one well if things didint happen i might be i just cant get it flat with out of loads of missing around and time

oh yes im pva everything and i do put a handful of skim in to help me ????

Sponsored Links
so the long and the short of it is you have started a new job and have to make the walls level for the tiler but everytime you try it ends up worse than when you started? and you have a foreman who keeps ringing you to see if you have made progress into the next room but you havent because you have been messing around too much with the first room and you are throwing a handful of skim into the pva to help you? how big are these areas to be tiled? can you post some pics of your job?

For a start you can't tile on top of bonding and you should not put PVA in areas that are getting tiled!! You should always use an acrylic sealer or an SBR sealer.You could always put a skim of tile adhesive over the areas that need tiling after you have knocked the old tiles off, if it is not too uneven. I would probably spread it out with rapid set powdered adhesive..Like Steve said put some pictures up and give us a bit more info on what your actual roll is....

hi
thank you for the replys i will try and send you some pics over the next week of the tasks in hand and the finish :oops:
im putting the handfull of skim into the bonding mix to try to make it a bit easier to level up

would a darby be better to use than a feather edge

Sponsored Links
If you are ripping gouges out of the drywall why dont you just replace it instead of messing around with filler?

Roy C is correct... I would agree with what he is saying. The sooner we can actually see some pictures of what the job is like though the better!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back