leveling a bathroom wall for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im tiling 2 of my walls in my bathroom.

Its a 1930 house. Original sand lime and cement plaster (i think) or just sand / cement.

Ive got to level out one of my walls as its all over the place. Ive knocked off any loose plaster 10-20mm thick and PVAed all of it twice.

What should I use to level it off? Bonding and then muiltyfinish. Can I add the bonding over the top of the old plaster or just onto the brick to patch in where ive removed the loose plaster?

Ive dot and dabbed the one wall with green plasterboard but unfortunately neither dot and dab or battening is possible on this last wall. (door frame butts up against this wall).

Sponsored Links
Muliti-finish is not designed as a basecoat and will only deal with minor (2mm) dips in walls, so it has to be a basecoat, if you are not dot/dabbing the wall.
If you have 20mm voids, you may need two applications.
So you need to use the bonding coat.

Sound thanks for the help. Can i use the bonding over the top of the old plaster aswell? The walls are all over the place so im probaly going to go over 3 times. Twice on the deep bits that have popped off the wall to get it like it was before and then some patches of build up 5-10mm thick to try and level it off as much as possible.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can bond over old plasterboard. just make sure you have used enough PVA on the old plasterboard

I wouldn't tile over the top of bonding..It should be ok to tile on if you skim over it with multi and let it dry out then tile it..

Thanks for all the advise. Ive skimmed over it all with muilty finish. Im planning todo all the walls in my house so it was a nice bit of practice. Against all odds its endded up looking fairly decent. Im a floor layer so do a lot of work with different skims, feather finishes ect and it seems to be a fairly good base to transfer over to plastering. That or a just lucked out (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back