Plastering up an old doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently blocked up an old doorway with blocks, covered with bonding and then last night I skimmed it over.

Unfortunately it looks like my undercoat wasn't quite level enough and when I have skimmed it over its a bit shallow in places so I am not happy with it.

I have to admit I struggle to get my bonding coats nice and level and flat, even when using an aluminium straight edge it just either rips off the plaster from the wall or its not level.

Is there any reason why I cant PVA it and build it up to the full thickness using multifinish or should I knock back to the undercoat, build it out and then reskim ?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If there is room for a coAt of finish then pva and skim it. Are you sure you have 2-3mm at least all round?

You can over skim, but as above PVA prep wall.
Normally dips of up to 2mm can be dealt with, anything exceeding that then maybe a one coat plaster may be usable or filling out with joint filler and sanding down.

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. I think I'm going to PVA it and add a layer of multifinish. I will try and remember to post the result :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back