Leveling for floating floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's the old problem. Bitumen (not DPC, just adhesive) residue left from asbestos-vinyl floor tile removal. Bitumen is dry, but stable.

Need to level it.

I've put some experimental blobs of cement based leveller down in a couple of spots to test adhesion, and they seem to be stuck well. But I've read levelling compounds don't stick.

Now, is this only really an issue if you glue/adhere to the leveller (tiles, glue down wood...etc)? and put vertical tensile forces into it? I can't imagine it will do anything if you float a floor over it as there are no vertical tensile loads, and only fractional loads. Even if the levelling compound delaminates from the bitumen completely, it will still act as a shaped packer.

What exactly is the failure response of levelling compound over bitumen compounds?

Cheers,
Fubar.

Sponsored Links
So, hypotrhetically... If I'd already dropped a bucket of water based leveling compound onto bitumen... what would happen? >.>

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
It could blow of the floor. Pas your not gluing on it you might get away with it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back