Leveling old shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a 12x16 shed built out of rough cut 2x4s about 25 years ago. The inside is rather solid the foundation is sinking and not so solid. The front is lower than the back my plan for now was to lift up the front corners and put a 12' 4x4 across the front . Here are pics as well . I was going to use a jack with wood support to do this any thoughts or nay sayers as I have leveled new sheds but never an old one or one this large. My concern is while the top is solid the bottom is soft and lifting he corner the needed 5-6" might crack something or not?

Sponsored Links
For anyone doing this as long as the sill plate is ok it's not a problem. I used a car 3 ton car jack with 2x4 under the sill plate and 2x6 across the corner on the heavier side and it came right up. I couldn't get 4" but I got 2" on each side for now that's better than nothing as this shed was sinking into the sand from the recently added weight.(too many tools).

You need to strengthen its foundation. Work out its weak point, support and enhance all corners to fit in. Well, at least you are free to do an experiment on this.

Sponsored Links
You need to strengthen its foundation. Work out its weak point, support and enhance all corners to fit in. Well, at least you are free to do an experiment on this.

leave the professionals to stay home for a change?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back