some advice regarding a shed

the timber is small just over 1" x 1x3/4 about 1/3 the 3x2" i have used
the roof wont have a structure just maybe 2 ends and 1 a frame so minimal support
floor is thin as is the roof
The roof and floor are made from 8mm and 10mm sheet material respectively. This board provides good strength,
in my humble opinion you get what you pay for
8 and 10mm are very very poor a description off "good strength "is in my eyes is beyond sense both material are far too thin :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
the timber is small just over 1" x 1x3/4 about 1/3 the 3x2" i have used
the roof wont have a structure just maybe 2 ends and 1 a frame so minimal support
floor is thin as is the roof
The roof and floor are made from 8mm and 10mm sheet material respectively. This board provides good strength,
in my humble opinion you get what you pay for
8 and 10mm are very very poor a description off "good strength "is in my eyes is beyond sense both material are far too thin :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Cheers big-all thought it looked a bit too good at that price ! Looks like i will stick to my original plan just need to get a bit more saved up :D Just thought as said earlier that it would have been easier with it coming ready to be assembled and what with weather as it is, don't wanna start and then rained off halfway through my self build. .

if you aim is to save money buy a ready made then 5 to 10 years on buy a new one
if you go for "chunky" and your own design it will cost up to 50-100% more it will last for several times longer with and be exactly what you want

if you aim is to save money buy a ready made then 5 to 10 years on buy a new one
if you go for "chunky" and your own design it will cost up to 50-100% more it will last for several times longer with and be exactly what you want

Yeah i agree i don't really want to be replacing it say 5yr down the line just trying to work out how much treated tongue and groove i would need for all the walls ,thicker the better really :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
your txg will be 12mm finished size go for 5" its cheaper than 6" for coverage as in 5" is around £1.20 a m and 6" is around 25-35% more

your txg will be 12mm finished size go for 5" its cheaper than 6" for coverage as in 5" is around £1.20 a m and 6" is around 25-35% more

Hi big-all where's the best place to get the treated tongue and groove from at the lengths you suggest ?

Hi big-all where's the best place to get the treated tongue and groove from at the lengths you suggest ?
you really need to shop around in your local area
as things are different all over the uk

Anyone know easiest way of calculating how much tongue and groove i would need ?? struggling on this bit :oops: 12ft wide x12ft long and 6ft high before roof trusses ..Is it possible to get pressure treated T&G in 12ft lengths ?

Thanks

:mrgreen:

if you are talking 5"txg shiplap the coverage is 107mm+2mm clearance i think it is so 9 planks is fairly close to 1m
so whatever the square m times by 9 then add between 5 and 10% for wastage dependant on glass area

the actual lengths you can get will depend on you timber yard
do not even look at wicks/b/poo and the likes

the lengths i got i think where 4.2 and 4.8 or my have been 4.5 cant remember

they wont be 12ft they will be shorter at 3.6m but the corners you will[can] use 2x1" treated to cover the ends vertically this will give you the 2or so inches plus the overhang to cover the end grain off the plank around the corner

just found the original paperwork i ordered 260m off 5x1 shiplap for my 6ft2" sidewalls including 2" overhang to cover the floor and top off the floor joists
on that amount i had around 10-15m spare 3.6mx3 plus odd bits i made a dog kennel for a small dog and kept 2 full lengths for repairs

just found the original paperwork i ordered 260m off 5x1 shiplap for my 6ft2" sidewalls including 2" overhang to cover the floor and top off the floor joists
on that amount i had around 10-15m spare 3.6mx3 plus odd bits i made a dog kennel for a small dog and kept 2 full lengths for repairs
Cheers big-all that's really helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back