Shed Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice surrounding shed bases.

I recently bought a house which has a pre-existing shed in the garden, it's OK for now but the base (flags) has moved, the shed is starting to go in places, and I'm 99% sure it is over foul water drains.

I'm starting to think about how I will go about replacing it. Ideally I'd like to keep a shed in the same position but part of me says a shed shouldn't be constructed over drains!?

There is a lot of rock in the area and I don't know for certain (but the drains aren't very deep maybe 12") but I suspect I won't be able to dig very deep!

I'd like a 12' x 9' shed and it would be self design/build.

My questions are:

1) Is it at all possible to site a shed over waste water drains?
2) Would a gravel base be OK for a 12' x 9' shed?

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% on the rules but personally I wouldn't want a shed over drains, means you have no access and your shed would get soaked if the drain ever flooded.

I think a shed of that size needs to be on atleast a patio slab or a concrete base to give it enough support and stop the structure from warping

I think that is a fair point about using a concrete base. I need to do some research regarding the drains, there would be no access point within 12-15 feet of the shed so I can't see it getting flooded...though who knows if the drain moved or cracked:(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back