Shed base help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Looking for some advice on a shed base. Is it ok to use decking, I.e just place the shed on top of decking, or is a concrete base better then deck around shed ? Shed is to be 12' X 8', or it will be a stronger structure than a shed (to enable a roof terrace to be built on the roof of the shed). Will a concrete base be a lot cheaper than decking ?
Many thanks in advance of any replies.
Westy

Sponsored Links
Hi. Yes, aware planning required for terrace. It will not overlook anyone, an architect friend seems to think it will fly through planning.

Your post isn't terribly clear?? Either you have a shed or you have a raised terrace with a shed underneath. You can not build a terrace on top of a normal shed?

I cant answer the question about bases unless you clarify what your building??

Sponsored Links
Hi. Sorry if my first post was confusing, I will try to clarify. Having decking built and getting a new off the shelve shed, or, having one specially made which would be strong enough to be able to have a couple of chairs and table on the roof to act like a roof terrace. The main question is, which is best (and cheaper) - either have the shed directly on the decking, or have a concrete base installed for the shed, and build the rest of the decking around it.

Can't comment on planning but if it was me I'd be building a platform/deck on tall legs with a concrete base and fill it in to make the shed, rather than a shed with a deck on the roof?

Assuming that you can get permission

I'm with tiger, simply build a raised platform and then slot in or bespoke build a shed underneath. On raised decking you need ventilation underneath the boards and joists trying to make the deck platform watertight will be very expensive to do well.

I am assuming your on a fair slope so a timber base for the shed will be easier than concrete. You could use 3m timber posts as your stilts and use them for supporting both levels of decking joists.

Obviously With any significantly raised platform you need to engineer it properly.

I think we all assumed you were planning to access the raised terrace from high ground but perhaps this is just a standalone structure away from the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back