Shed base for plastic shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
G'day

I am planning on buying this shed:

https://www.keter.com/uk_en/msdl_17197902factor-4x6-shed.html

but I am unsure what shed base would be best suited.

Would ideally like to avoid concrete of any kind. The shed instructions say it should be built on either a concrete or wooden base - no mention of plastic bases, which I was leaning towards before reading this.

Anyone see any issues with a plastic base for this shed?

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
We bought a 6' x 6' similar one with double doors about 6 or 7 years ago for the same price of £350 Came with a built in plastic floor.
Have it on a base of flagstones and it's still dry inside. They may cost more than a same sized wooden shed but they are certainly waterproof with little or no maintenance.
Also have 2 smaller storage boxes, cost about £150 each, and they are still looking good after about 5 years.

Whatever base you put down you want to make it temporary.

Because a plastic shed won't last too long so you'll want to remove the base when you take the remnants of the shed to the tip :) :)

ON the other hand, Im sure you can get a wooden shed for £350 that will outlast the plastic one. :)

Sponsored Links
We bought a similar (Keter) one 6' x 6' quite a few years ago (self assembly) and I put it up on an existing concrete base. A rotten old wooden shed had been there before.

I have to say that it is very solid, has stood up to everything the weather could throw at it with no leaks, no cracking or anything.

I don't know about wooden sheds outlasting this one, but I suppose that would depend on the quality of the timber and its treatment. I assume wooden sheds would also require more maintenance.
I, being a lazy bugger, have done nothing at all in the way of maintenance of our plastic one.

Ironically, in the adverts at the bottom of this thread, is an advert for a base kit that essentially looks like those geogrids/gravel grids and gravel for driveways with some permeable weed membrane underneath it all. Here is the link for you to use for the photographs only!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1833987561...AGIDbTh5WBZN-MYZkFbCKAVwIzGfrfuhoCAZ0QAvD_BwE

I think that if you were to go this route, you would be better off going to a local DIY store such as Toolstation for the Membrane and ordering the gravel grids individually from a builders merchant near you (or online?) and also the gravel in Handy Bags from a nearby merchant for a fraction of the price that this "kit" is available for. My view would be that, if the gravel grid system is rated for the weight of a car, i'm sure a shed wouldn't be a problem at all for it.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back