leveling

• Thread starter rinkydinkydoodaa
  • Start date
R

rinkydinkydoodaa

Hi I want to tile a wall but a section of the top slopes in by about 20mm. Can someone please tell me the best way to level.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why worry about it? Just tile it as is. To level it up you'll have to make the room smaller.

If it’s a gentle slope over a large area you may be better off leaving it as suggested but if the difference is over less than a couple of feet or so you could have problems laying the tiles, depending how large they are. When you say its 20mm out, over what distance is that? Is the whole wall just out of plumb or is the plaster not flat? Is it in one corner, the centre or where?

It's the area above the window. it's about 3 foot wide and slopes inwards at the top to the ceiling. It would probally only affect the top layer of tiles which can not be placed unless I level.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why don't you go and demand free advice off your solicitor and see how far you get.

Whatever I am - I know the answer to your question - but i don't do demands. See ya. :LOL:

Abusing the regular contributors won't help solve your problem! :rolleyes:

22mm is a lot to be out; is the wall a render/plaster finish over block/brick or has the wall been dry lined? Assuming it’s not been dry lined, it’s just the plaster that’s out & not the block/brick work behind; the best way of tackling it would be to remove the plaster on the offending bit of wall, use Hardwall or Bonding plaster to level it with the rest & tile directly over that. If the plaster is not deep enough you may be able to reduce the difference to a more manageable amount but I would be keen to find out why it’s like it in the first place; is the window an original feature or has someone cut a new opening? Are you sure the lintel’s not on the move? Is there any evidence of cracking?

You could always tile up to the top of the window & leave it at that!

it's difficult to picture exactly but i'm pretty sure i would just put thicker tile adhesive on and blend the tiles in so that they don't catch the eye.

if you’re sure it won't work go for Richards

Agree with JerryM, I've used more adhesive in places to compensate when I tiled my bathroom out some years back.

:( On a different Forum I used to visit, a lot of posts ended up being used as weapons of mass insults!

I am new to this board and have been receiving nothing but help from all the contributors. There are some cheeky chaps out there but as long as they solve our problems we should be able to take their terse comments in our stride and thank them for their time and for sharing their knowledge.

Carry on the good work guys.

Mr orange,

agree entirely with your thoughts - insults achieve nothing but our collective efforts all pulling in the same direction is the without doubt what we all need.

thanks for taking the time to add your encouragement - it's really appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back