Levelling between hearth and chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Background:

Moved into 1934 semi last year that had vinyl glued to floorboards. Had to remove the floor to access services using circular saw as vinyl wouldn't separate from floorboards.

Replaced floorboards with 22mm T&G chipboard.

There is a hearth in the kitchen (brick and concrete).

I need to level the hearth surface with the chipboard surface so that I can lay a floating (Quickstep) laminate floor in the kitchen.

Photos:

This is the hearth in front of the unused chimney. I'm doing some decorating so there is cardboard down which obscures some of it. The green plastic is a vapour barrier from under the chipboard.

This is a closeup of the surface which seems to have been levelled previously with a substance that has broken off in the corner.

Here is the other end of the hearth showing the junction with the chipboard.

Proposal:

So my novice DIYer thinking is to chalk up the gaps at the junction and then use some latex levelling compound. I'm new to this so would appreciate the benefit of the wisdom of those who have done this before.

A pub mate reckons it'll be fine to leave it as there is only 2-3mm difference except at the damaged corner. Perhaps I could put some mortar in the damaged corner to bring it up?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Should’ve asked the question before you started should’ve dug out the hearth and boarded right across.(laminate is not great in the kitchen any large spillage will destroy it)

Should’ve asked the question before you started should’ve dug out the hearth and boarded right across.(laminate is not great in the kitchen any large spillage will destroy it)
Indeed but we are where we are.

I hold my hands up and admit to being a novice who googles and YouTube as he goes.

As for the laminate - we had quickstep at the old place and it was fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back