Levelling Chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a laminate floor onto a downstairs chipboard floor. It seems as though the sub floor is beams and boards placed on some sort of insulation, which I guess then sits on dpm/concrete.

Along one edge the level drops slightly - it was noticable with carpet so will be a nightmare with laminate. So I need to level it up before I start - the discrepancy goes from nothing to about 1.5cm in the space of about 4ft up to the wall. I think previous occupants have had heavy loads in this area that maybe has squashed the insulation material - or that the builders bodged the level of the concrete - there is no sign of huge gaps appearing under the skirting so it doesn't look like it's dropping - and it hasn't changed in the 18 months we have lived there.

I got the thicker underlay (fibreboard stuff) to iron out the usual slight bumps and lump but this won't help here I think.

I was thinking of packing using old carpet underlay / foam underlay as appropriate for the depth of problem, and then putting the laminate underlay on top of that but this could be tricky to get right?

The house is under 10 years old so is built out of paper and glue it seems!! The builders haven't fixed any of the chipboard down so I'm going to be screwing that down in the corners of all the boards first.

Anyone got any other ideas? Can you use self levelling compound on top of chipboard - and can you use it in a specific area rather than the whole floor?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't advise self-levelling compound on top of chipboard. The floor may be chipboard on top of expanded polystyrene and the concrete should have been levelled if necessaryas this was fitted. I think the only way to get this right is to cut out the section of chipboard and insulation, level the floor with dry sand and refit the insulation and chipboard. If you do use self-levelling compound you should seal the floor with pva to reduce the suction, but I have found dry sand to be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back