Levelling floor to lay laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to lay laminate floor in the living room. The room used to be 2 smaller rooms and now is 1 large room. I lifted up the carpet and realised that one side was timber flooring and the other it's large slate slabs which I guess is layed on soil.

My plan was to seal, prime and self level the slate side of the room which is slightly lower and uneven. However one of the slate slabs is slighly higher than the timber side.

My question is... Can i raise that slate slab and dig out around 20mm of soil and lay the slab again so I can self level the floor?

Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20191214_134359.jpg
    IMG_20191214_134359.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20191214_134432.jpg
    IMG_20191214_134432.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20191214_134419.jpg
    IMG_20191214_134419.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
moisture pressure from the soil under the slate might be responsible for the slate rising up?

best practice would be for you to lift all the slate and skirting in that room - dig down - tamp the soil- lay a membrane (DPM) - lay insulation - and pour a concrete slab to level needed to re-insert the slate.
to do the above you will need to work to a section view of the new floor.

there's the problem of difference in FFL's between the two rooms -perhaps best to leave it uneven and use one of the many transition pieces custom made for unequal FFL's?
if you made the floors equal then you might have knock-on difficulties with door thresholds and FFL's in adjacent rooms off the slate room.

have you recently bought the property?

Thank you for your advice. I know that raising all the slabs, damp proofing, insulation and laying concrete would be the safest and the best option.

However on a budget would I be able to get away with raising one of the slabs, dig around 10-20mm of soil and lay thr slab down again, seal the joint with cement and painting with dpm, and then primer before self levelling?? There is no evidence of damp here at the moment and would digging up 20mm make much difference??

Or any other budget suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
whatever you mean by getting away with it usually results in it biting back.

sure you can lift, level and re-set the slate and grout the joins.
i dont understand from "seal ... to self levelling"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back