Laying a concrete floor indoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The room size is about 8.5m x 5m and interrupted in the middle by a large chimney breast.

How do I level the concrete off/tamp it down since the existing walls prevent me and a helper from standing on either side of the floor with a long timber batten as you would do if you were laying a virgin slab outside?

Or do I lay the concrete slab in sections but even if I do this, how do I level off the concrete close to the walls?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Fix battens to the walls tamp to them when its all gone off chop them out and make good.
laser level useful setting up battens.

Thanks Old....walls a bit irregular but reckon I should be able to fix something up.

OLD - been thinking some more about the practicalities of this.

The dpm will have been tacked up the walls. Do I put the battens inside the dpm and then nail through the temporary batten AND dpm into the wall? If so then what about the holes that the nails will have made in the dpm since they will be level with the concrete course?

If I fix the temporary batten between the dpm and the wall then isn't it going to be rather awkward to find the battens through the thick and relatively inflexible dpm while tamping?

Sponsored Links
You will have to repair dpm and make good choose timber to give enough working room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back