Levelling floorboards with a sudden big drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I`m laying solid wood flooring right through our lounge and running through into the kitchen.

Its on top of wooden floorboards and i`ve used a floating installation on self adheisive backing.

I prepped the floor nailing all loose boards down.I`ve done the lounge and its all looking really good and neat.

Unfortunately (i don`t know how i missed it), but just behind the door as i go ito the kitchen, the boards drop about 12 mm over 80cm running towards the wall.

Obviously, this is causing a slight problem! The boards are nice and solid and fixed down properly - i just have this drop over a small distance. I guess this is one of the 'features' of having a house built in the 1880`s!

I was thinking of screwing some ply down and layering it up so it gets thicker into the wall to take up the drop. I think i can only get 6mm ply though so would only have 2 layers to play with unless i start using the electric planer to sort of feather it in.

Is the right approach, or should i be doing something else?

Cheers, Mike

Sponsored Links
Some thin slivers of wood to fill the bulk then some epoxy wood filler (or car body filler) to provide a level and smooth finish.

Thanks - didn`t think of filling the steps of the layers. Going to get some 4mm ply at lunch and have a look at it tonight.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Use the ply to bulk it out then screed over with level flex screening compound. You can get that or similar from topps tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back