Levelling interior concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive poured a concrete slab floor awhile back and unfortunately it's not entirely level with it declining around 30 to 40mm over 5m.

What would you recommend for levelling it?

I have a half ton bag of ballast and half ton bag of builders sand left over I was hoping to use. I'm tempted to use the builders sand but I know that's not recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_110121737.jpg
    IMG_20231106_110121737.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
What's going on top?
Ideally you'd screed it using sharp sand, if you could sieve the big stones out of the ballast and mix with the building sand 3:1, that could make a reasonable substitute. But all that effort for the sake of buying a few bags of sharp sand.

I haven't decided yet. Probably something like laminate wood flooring. Yes I will likely load my car up with sharp sand.

I haven't decided yet. Probably something like laminate wood flooring. Yes I will likely load my car up with sharp sand.
Be careful with floor screed. It can not be laid thinly. You need a minimum of say 50mm over the whole floor.
It will not lend itself to say being feathered out to 20mm or less. It will just break up.

Sponsored Links
Could you do a rough job with cement screed then liquid self-levelling over the lot?

I mean make up the big bits to just under finish level, nothing on the higher bits, then liquid over all of it.

Last edited:
Or mix sharp sand in with floor levelling compound. But that’ll obviously cost more.
If attempting to screed using normal sharp sand and cement where it’s thinner, using a good bonding agent (I’d probably use SBR) will be key (pun intended)

I've reached the point of my floor which the depth to make up is at least 50mm. I have half a ton bag of ballast left over. Any problem if I coat the first 25mm with mixed up concrete and then finish the top with the sand cement screed (immediately after the other)?

Will save me £££, a trip to B&Q and lugging bags up the garden.

Last edited:
I've done a bit more work today without concrete and I'm almost done. I'll finish the rest with sand cement and then buy some self levelling material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back