Levelling lumpy bumpy dippy lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our lawn has lumps, bumps and dips.

What's the best way to level it out?

I have considered rotovating it all and starting again. And there's a part next to it which was covered in concrete which has been dug up and I want to creat one large lawn area, so would I run the risk of different types of grass unless I rip it all up and start again?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Topsoil and a levelling lute, depending on how large the dips are. If they're very large, you may have to cut the sod, peel it back, add topsoil and then unroll the sod back.

Grass is very, very resilient and grows like a weed. Some people get very particular about how it's handled.

I've not managed to do my whole lawn yet, but a separate area very prominent from the window was lumpy and bumpy and it bugged me. All I did was cut the existing grass back to the shortest length, chuck on a ton of good topsoil, level and compact it (which filled some of the pits and holes), add fertiliser, then put the new turf on top. It took 6-8 months to fully establish and by the following Spring it looked fantastic. Lush with strong roots.

Sponsored Links
Exactly as cwhaley suggests - to level the soil/sand into the hollows I attached a rope to a set of stepladders, put a couple of cement blocks on top to weigh it down, and dragged it by the rope round & round, up & down. Beats breaking my back down on my hands and knees :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back