Levelling uneven tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is one for this section or tiling, but I'll try here first. I have a small utility room with uneven tiled walls(not flat) that I would like to level & cover with lining paper then emulsion, as the tiles are stuck direct to plasterboard & removing them would destroy the walls. Can anyone tell me if it is ok to skim tiles with board finish or bonding & what sort of prepping is required or perhaps suggest an alternative solution. Dot & dabbing is not feasible due to all the things fitted to the walls. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you’re going to all the trouble of plastering over tiles why on earth would you want to stick lining paper over it; it’s god awful stuff. :rolleyes:

It can be done but is one hell of a bodge & largely frowned upon by true tradesmen & you will need a good one to get it to work; the plaster will also be very brittle & liable to chip very easily. Have you actually tried removing the tiles to see how much damage it causes? As long as the paper lining remains largely intact, it should be possible to re-skim it, if not take it all down & start again it's no big deal.

Thanks for the reply Richard, sorry but I cannot agree with you about lining paper. As far as I am concerned it is brilliant for covering plaster blemishes & gives a great base for emulsioning. Unfortunately uneven tile surfaces are a bridge too far & as my plastering skills do not extend to a perfect finish then for me lining paper is the answer. This is after all a diy forum :D Do you think using bonding might be more servicable than board finish?

If you use bonding you will need more than lining paper. unless you use multi finish over the top of it. I strongly disagree with you on lining paper though sorry :( When you plaster are you applying two coats? Have you ever mist coated your work to see if lining paper is actually required, often I find a wall can look really bad until it is painted and then it looks mint, especially if you have filled alot of misses with fat as it will dry alot of different colours which can trick the eye. After a mist coat you can touch up any blemished with easy fill and it should be good to go.

Sponsored Links
if your just diy'ing it and having a go then you can put some bonding agent on the tiles first, then skim it. If the finish isnt great then you can either spend time filling/sanding or line it. After all it is only a utility room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back