Lever taps in downstairs cloak room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After fitting a pair of lever taps to replace ordinary ones, I switched the water supply back on but both taps had water running out even when the levers were turned to off. I have put the old taps back in until I can solve this problem. Any ideas anyone? Thanks. David.

Sponsored Links
Incorrect tap inserts, I guess......are these 1/4 turn ceramic taps or the reviver type with the traditional rubber washer?
John :)

They are 1/4 turn and no other parts came in the box. I know that Bristan ones come with a sheet of instructions and some optional screws and spacers but my set didn't. If I need some form of insert could I buy these from a local supplier or do I have to buy another set that has them and write the first ones off to experience? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Take the original insert with you - the length of these is absolutely critical.
Any insert too short simply bypasses the tap function altogether!
John :)

I bought them off Amazon. No indication anywhere that there are different internal dimensions when I sent off for them. I discovered that Bristan supply inserts with their ones only afterwards and I'm still not sure how the inserts would work.
Unfortunately I've found plumbing suppliers to be quite unhelpful to enthusiastic though inexperienced DIYers so I thought online shopping would be a good thing.
I still seem to be at first base but thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned the lever taps were to have replaced existing ordinary ones. I cannot now easily turn them with my weak/painful hands and thought that 1/4 turn levers style would be ideal. Ah well.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you have bought a set of brand-new taps from Amazon; and having fitted them, they don't shut off the flow. If this is so, they are faulty, not fit for purpose, and should be returned to Amazon for either an exchnge or a refund

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back