LG 47 inch LCD TV,Black out, no picture ,no sound

Sponsored Links
The DE-5000 is cheaper, more versatile, and more accurate. But yes, you have to figure out to press a few buttons to use it.

Frankly, for this purpose, both are overpriced and will never be seriously utilised. The little £20 things do fine.

That meter from the book seller measures only capacitance - not ESR. See my previous reply for recommendations.

(Note that buying from the book seller means sending money out of the UK, to a company that (quite legally) pays very little UK tax. Buying from a company such as Peak Electronics in Derbyshire means supporting Britain. When we end up destitute like Greece you'll all be complaining but it'll be your own fault.)

Sponsored Links
Since i dont have alot of experience with electronics,
In that case, how is buying an ESR meter or anything else really going to help?
If one or more capacitors test as faulty, what will you do?
Is desoldering the faulty capacitors and soldering in new ones something you can realistically do / have done before?
Even if you do that, what if the TV still doesn't work?

Realistic options:
Put TV on ebay, sell for parts only, get some money for it to put towards a new TV.
Or find a local TV repair shop - such places do still exist.

I would avoid the multi-purpose meters and buy an ESR meter. K.I.S.S.

Hi Sam,

Can you provide a few example esr meters i can have a look at (preferably good cheap ones) ;)
And also any easy to follow guides on how to test the capacitors.

Cheers

In general you can get things that are good, and you can get things that are cheap, but you can't get both together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back