LG GR-349SQF Fridge/Freezer Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

We have an LG GR-349SQF Fridge/Freezer and, typically, we got back off holiday on Friday to find the freezer section was not working (everything had defrosted) and the fridge was warm.

I could hear the compressor running so removed the small cover at the back and noticed the condensor fan was not running. I checked the voltage across the fan and it was 0 volts. I switched the unit on and off a couple of times and the fan kicked in. After a few hours both the fridge and freezer sections were back at normal fridge/freezer temperatures. However, in the morning, the fan had stopped again and both the fridge and freezer had warmed up.

From what I can gather, the unit has one compressor that cools the freezer and extracts some of that cold air to cool the fridge. When the correct temperatures have been reached, the fan stops cooling the condensor hence the 0 volt reading. It would appear the fan motor is OK as it works OK when a voltage is present. The fact that the temperatures in both the fridge and freezer are fine when the fan runs suggests that the thermostat is OK....I think.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the fan is not kicking back in again as the temperature starts to rise?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I suspect your defrost timer has failed.

It goes into defrost mode and switches on the heater in the back of the freezer but does not switch off after the alloted time.

It could be PCB controlled or mechanical. I am assuming PCB due to the fact that you switched it off and it worked again 'reset' (at least until the timer kicked in again, usually between 8 and 12 hours)

Many thanks Leccy758

I got it running again this morning after a couple of switch off and on sessions but it stopped again once the temperature was down. I've tried switching it off again, leaving it for a while then turning it back on but it doesn't seem to want to kick back in this time.

I'm suspecting that if it's a PCB fault, it probably just worth biting the bullet and investing in a new one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back