LG Smart TV screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I purchased an LG smart tv back in 2019. For the past few months for some reason there is q blue backlight when watching normal tv channels/streaming apps. I am not sure why.

Has the screen got faulty? I have alternated the settings and it still doesn’t make a difference

Sponsored Links
Something like this?

vrGlUp.jpg

Something like this?

vrGlUp.jpg
Yes like that but it isn’t as bad as that. But it is still a blue/purple backlight which is so annoying because you can’t watch anything without having to think about that!

Sponsored Links
It's the backlights. The emissions have fallen causing the colour change.

Swapping out the backlights should cure the problem, but you should also make some checks on the TV settings. If you're running with the contrast settings high - which would be the default if they haven't been changed - then this shortens the life of the backlights.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's something you should know about LG TVs. At the higher-end, LG makes some superb TVs. It's OLED products are great. For the lower ranges though it's a different story. The closer you get to their entry-level product the greater the number of shortcuts taken. LGs tend to offer more features for the same price compared to Samsung, Sony and Panasonic, but to do that they economise in other areas. One place where this cost-cutting has become apparent is the backlighting.

LG uses fewer LEDs, and as a result it drives those LEDs harder. The result is that they burn though their life faster. Once they start to go then you get these colour shifts.

Another consequence of the LED issue is that base-level and some of the Nano-series TVs aren't as bright as the competition. The sets aren't as good for brightly-illuminated areas such as conservatories or rooms with a lot of natural light. The other issue relating to this is 4K HDR. This needs the set to produce more light output to give the HDR the extra pop it needs to show the additional brightness. Many LG sets have nothing left in reserve because the backlights are already working near flat out just for SDR.

Simply replacing the sets LED backlights may fix the immediate issue but still leave you with the longer-term problem. The TV's picture controls need to be adjusted - particularly the Contrast setting which is what governs the maximum brightness of the LEDs. Having the set running near flat out all the time will just cause the new LEDs to die just as quickly.

To set the TV correctly requires using some test patterns to be able to see what the TV does with a reference image. You can't do this as a novice by just looking at TV programmes and films. It's very likely that ordinary TV images have been Colour Graded (adjusted for brightness and contrast) scene-by-scene to make the best use of the dynamic range range on offer. IOW, if you use a TV prog to set brightness and contrast with one scene, then it will be wrong for the next scene if it's substantially brighter or darker, so you end up riding the TV controls to compensate all the time. With test patterns you set up to the industry standard. This is the same standard the Grader used. That means you see what you should see in all scenes within the limits of the TV's performance.

The patterns you need are Brightness

1657635627477.png

Contrast

1657635663928.png

Mixed APL (Brightness and Contrast in the same image)

1657635713050.png

Sharpness

1657635752024.png

and... depending on whether you want to go the last mile - Colour

1657635822200.png

The above patterns are from the AVS HD 709 test pattern set which can be downloaded and used for free.
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.948496/

There's also a pdf user manual from which the above screen shots were grabbed. You're only reading the first two pages because the adjustments being done are very basic. Once you have an idea of what you're looking for then the total time to do the 4 or 5 settings is under 10 minutes. Yes, that's all it's going to take to get any TV running correctly for SDR.

The patterns can be downloaded and run from a USB stick in many TVs.

Glossary

SDR - Standard Dynamic Range - the difference between the darkest and brightest images that the TV can produce. SDR is what's used for normal TV broadcast including HD1080p. It's also what we have on DVD and Blu-ray.

HDR - High Dynamic Range - a system that attempts to replicate some of what we're used to seeing in life. With normal vision our eyes are able to see both shadow detail and highlight detail at the same time. An SDR-based system can't do this. That's why directors avoid shooting scenes with mixed lighting where important stuff is in both shadow and brightly-lit areas. They choose one or the other. With HDR there's far more scope for having both lowlight and highlight areas visible and correctly exposed at the same time; just like we see in life. To do this though requires that the TV be able to output extra light when playing HDR material (HDR10, HDR10+, DolbyVision, HLG) such as you might find on streaming sources from Amazon, DisneyPlus, premium Netflix and Apple TV.

Last edited:
Yeah mate? What do you recommend me doing then?
Discussed in my Sony thread. To follow Winston's advice you'd have to raise a court case (Small Claim in England, Simple Procedure in Scotland) and supply evidence that the product had been faulty at time of sale. Unlike Winston I think that's a tall order.

Last edited:
Yeah mate? What do you recommend me doing then?
First of all go back to your retailer and tell him you are rejecting it. As well as the Consumer Rights Act there is also an EC rule that gives you a 2 year warranty. I don’t think this has been repealed since Brexit.

Either way the first point of call is your retailer who you have a contract with. If he rejects your approach go to the CItizens Advice Bureau.
Edit.
Forgot to add. Under the CRA goods are expected to last a reasonable time, typically 6 years. It hasn’t.

As well as the Consumer Rights Act there is also an EC rule that gives you a 2 year warranty. I don’t think this has been repealed since Brexit.
The TV's older than two years.
Regarding the recourse under the Consumer Rights Act you can only reject at this stage after the retailer has made one or more attempts to repair the goods [24 (5)] or has not done so within a reasonable time.

Can you cite the section giving six years as a reasonable lifetime? I can only find informal comments, leaving me to think that might for for a court to find depending on the facts of the specific case, under [9 "Goods to be of satisfactory quality"]. There's an informal guide to the effect of the Act here, see "Your consumer rights after six months" ..

However there's nothing to be lost trying. If claiming under a specific Act it's best to have the detail to hand to back up your claim.

Discussed in my Sony thread. To follow Winston's advice you'd have to raise a court case (Small Claim in England, Simple Procedure in Scotland) and supply evidence that the product had been faulty at time of sale. Unlike Winston I think that's a tall order.
Thanks for that advice mate. I purchased the tv back in 2019. When I purchased it, was working fine all this time and then I realised these past 6 months that the tv screen isn't how it use to be.

It sounds like it will be so complex. Easiest option would be to purchase a new TV but I did spend a large amount of this TV.

I know what you mean, when our Sony dropped dead I vowed never to buy anything but the cheapest. What's the point of high end kit if fails in a couple of years.

Under the CRA goods are expected to last a reasonable time, typically 6 years
No, the CRA doesn't say that. If it's a cheap kettle, for example, then a reasonable person might think 2 years is doing well. If that is the case then your statutory rights have not been breached and the CRA doesn't help at all.

My cheap kettles have lasted a lot longer than 2 years. I don't think 6 is unreasonable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back