LG TV 49UJ630V - on/off/on/off/on/off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a modern, smart, LED 49" TV, which I bought around 20 months ago.

For months, when I turned it on it would very occasionally switch itself off then back on - which I assumed was the firmware updating itself. On Wednesday, in the middle of watching something, it turned off, then back on - I just assumed I had caught the buttons.

Thursday, yesterday, it began turning itself on/off, on/off repeatedly and randomly a few seconds at a time. Turn it off and it would cycle, turn it on and it would cycle. The only way to stop it was to pull the power.

I pulled out all the ancillaries, HDD, Fire Cube, Sat dish feed etc. It made no difference.

A bit of Internet research suggested dust build up, giving it a good thump, reseating internal plugs, failing power supply electrolytics - I tried all the none invasive ones without success, so I took it down from its wall bracket to get the back off. I checked the electrolytics and reseated all the PCB plugs, no obvious problems at all and it was clean as a whistle inside.

I then ran a soak test with it face down on the floor, an hour on and an hour turned off - with no misbehaviour at all. Put it all back together, reinstall it on its bracket, plug everything back in then test it again, back to the random on/off behaviour.

By now, clutching at straws, I wondered if it might be a firmware issue, so I eventually got it into the configuration menu to check the firmware. I failed to find that menu item, but thought to see if setting the Quick Start+ to on, might make a difference. This is where turning the set off, doesn't put it into full standby/ minimum power, it just powers down the screen and audio. It did make a difference, it completely cured the on/off behaviour. Curious to know if the problem would return with Quick Start+ set to off, after an hour of no problems I went into the menu and changed the setting back.

No more on/off cycling for the entire evening and still none this morning. My best guess it that the TV's configuration file became somehow corrupted, simply changing one item in the settings rewrote the file and fixed the issue.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back