Votes: 3 15.0%
  • The driver, therefore the company

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine whos a tree surgeon got a crane to support a tree which had fallen between two houses while they chopped it up. When they were almost down to the trunk there was a wasp nest that had been disturbed so the moved down the road waiting for the wasps to calm down! While they were away the crane driver lifted the tree almost vertical and it slipped off the prongs at it crashed into the wall of the next doors. The wall has been pushed 100mm in with the sash going in aswell. A reputable firm was used for the crane. The crane company have said that the fault lies with the tree guys not securing the load. I was under the impression a crane driver is responsible for any load he lifts!? Forget the fact that he inexplicably lifted something that bybthis point was almost on the floor. I should mention that it wasnt actually a crane, but a telehandler. Anyone got any thoughts or comments? :oops:

Sponsored Links
wouldve thought part of h&s of crane driving would be to make absolutly sure what you are lifting is secure,and a banksman is required?
so imo its the operater of the crane at fault.

wouldve thought part of h&s of crane driving would be to make absolutly sure what you are lifting is secure,and a banksman is required?
so imo its the operater of the crane at fault.

Are you psychic or what, you took the words right out of my mouth, two great minds maybe? :p :p

Sponsored Links
Dont suppose you could help me with the loto numbers. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I should mention that it wasnt actually a crane, but a telehandler. Anyone got any thoughts or comments? icon_redface.gif

who was driving it and how was the load slung ??

easy to start pointing the finger :!:

I believe he was an albanian/romanian! The load was tied with a hammock sling over the prongs of the telehandler.

Crane drivers are not responsible for any load, unless the crane and driver have been hired for contract lifting.

You may hire a 'slinger' who will attach the load and make sure its safe, usually through the crane company.

I think the blame here lies with who ever attached and secured the load.

Crane drivers are not responsible for any load, unless the crane and driver have been hired for contract lifting.

You may hire a 'slinger' who will attach the load and make sure its safe, usually through the crane company.

But he lifted it for no good reason! With sling only going over the two prongs at some point common sense tells you its gonna com off the prongs once you get to a certain point.

But he lifted it for no good reason! With sling only going over the two prongs at some point common sense tells you its gonna com off the prongs once you get to a certain point.

A reputable crane driver would not lift a load unless asked to, his job would not be worth it. They take it very serious.

The wasps are obviously to blame. If they had not intruded in the tree, like the scum they are, there would be no issue.
Fair enough, you can't haul wasps into court, but there are surely other punishments. eg tieing weights around their feet, cutting all their wings off, or just blasting them with a flame.

gregers said:
wouldve thought part of h&s of crane driving would be to make absolutly sure what you are lifting is secure

I'll second that, even though I've never operated anything bigger than a patient hoist - and that was empty. Just out of interest, what's a banksman? :?: :?: :?:

trollmaster2000 said:
The wasps are obviously to blame.

It was Noah's fault. He was in such a hurry to load up two of everything and get under way that he missed God's final words:

"-- except the wasp." :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back