Licence to woke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh Oh No.

"James Bond producers say Idris Elba is 'part of the conversation' to be the next 007"

There goes the franchise. :sick:

Sponsored Links
Oh Oh No.

"James Bond producers say Idris Elba is 'part of the conversation' to be the next 007"

There goes the franchise. :sick:

I'd like to see Tom Hardy have a crack at it, but to be fair, Idris Elba is pretty awesome as an actor. I don't think a black actor as Bond is a problem in this day and age, Idris certainly has a track record for action films and playing a 'mean' character, I'd be more concerned if it were a female Bond and that was apparently considered, that would take it too far away from the original story.

LutherBBC150611-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
He's a crap actor full stop. He's not in the frame for his acting ability, which is not to dissimilar to his past casting.

F**k off, have you not seen Luther, the guy's a great actor. I think he carries a chip or two on his shoulder, which has riled a few people, but he is nonetheless a great actor and has a persona capable of portraying a character like Bond.

I cannot think of anyone alive today, in the acting world, in Britain at least, who could be James Bond. Or of any good stories to be written for him. It's over. Everybody toes the line now.

Maybe Novax Djocovid, but he's not an actor. I can see him flying about though, from country to country kicking authority in the teeth.

I'd go for it myself if it wasn't for me knees.

Maybe Novax Djocovid, but he's not an actor. I can see him flying about though, from country to country kicking authority in the teeth.
He's not going to save the world from a quarantine hotel!

Last edited:
I'd like to see Tom Hardy have a crack at it, but to be fair, Idris Elba is pretty awesome as an actor. I don't think a black actor as Bond is a problem in this day and age, Idris certainly has a track record for action films and playing a 'mean' character, I'd be more concerned if it were a female Bond and that was apparently considered, that would take it too far away from the original story.

It left the original story way behind, a very long time ago. I will admit to watching the very first two Bond films (after reading the books), when they had some semblance of reality - since then they became more and more fantastical, less and less believable and I guess I just outgrew them as a source of entertainment.

It left the original story way behind, a very long time ago.
Exactly, Harry Bloomfield.
Some of the films were not even based on Ian Fleming's books, GoldenEye for one.
And let us not forget that M has already been portrayed as a woman, and I didn't hear any supposed 'woke' protestations about that!

Some authors refuse to allow film/TV productions to interfere with their books, others alter or insert additional books into the series to 'explain away' the difference between early books and the screen portrayals.
For Instance Bernard Cornwell's early Richard Sharp books describe him as having a London accent, and black hair, (and a scar) but an additional story/book/episode was introduced to explain away Sean Bean's northern accent in the TV series. Then the book depiction mirrored the TV depiction more closely.
Whereas Ian Rankin refused to watch any TV depiction of Rebus, so that his writing about Rebus would not be influenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back