lidl mig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=9615

I know that it won't be as good as a decent mig with gas, but I want to learn to weld more for my own satisfaction than a real need. Just something to practice with scrap

So is it worth buying to potter about ?
If I managed to get stuff stuck together then I would upgrade to a decent one, and if it proves that I am unsuited to welding, shove it in the shed

Parkside stuff is generally (imho) decent value for money, three year guarantee, but obviously built down to a price

Sponsored Links
Over the years I've been of the same thinking, get something cheap then upgrade later.

I quickly realised this is more expensive than it sounds and usually end up losing money or collecting junk.

Buy a good second hand welder from the off and you can always get good money back for it if you decide it's not for you, not to mention you'll have a better welder.

Just wondering if you have considered enrolling on a Level 1 welding course?
Seriously, you'll work with the best equipment and generally very highly skilled tutors who will point you in the right direction when you get it wrong!
Very cheap equipment needs real skill to get the best out of it and it isn't always successful - professional gear allows you to get things wrong but not so drastically that you fail.
I was very fortunate to be trained in gas, electric arc and MIG welding - each a one week course - which allowed me to teach it in schools. I have to confess, I failed miserably in the aluminium welding and overhead pipe welding though!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Buy a decent Speedglass welding mask as well..

Good point. It is worrying that consumer (read:not trade) orientated stores are selling products that could make their customers blind the first time that they use them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back