Life span?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Worcester combi boiler.
I am sure I read somewhere, that central heating boilers only have a life span of 10 years.
Is this correct?
Ours is now 12 years old.

For the last few days, the pilot light keeps going out, and I was wondering if this is the boiler on its way out!!!
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Most manufacturers say 10 to 15 years, but it all depends on how much money you are having to throw at it and how efficient and reliable it is. Some folks like a brand new car every year and some prefer a well maintained classic. In your case I may be tempted to try a new thermocouple before writing the boiler off.

Thank you.

Actually, we do have a problem at the moment.
The pilot light keeps going out.
I don't know what he did to it, but a chap called to look at it, and told us it should be alright now.
He didn't charge us - we asked him to come back to service the boiler, even though it isn't due till January.
The thing was fine for 24 hours - then the pilot started going off again.
He said he would come out this morning - but hasn't turned up yet!!!

Sponsored Links
The weather is very cold and we get a lot of calls at the moment.

I assume that you know how to relight the pilot and have tried?

Tony

Yes, Tony. That is what we have been doing.

The plumber did eventually get back to us.
He took the whole thing to pieces - it is working fine now.
(Touch wood).

we have a worcester bosch combi, without looking unsure of which model big its a big daft thing in an upstairs cupboard.

we have had a problem with pilot light going off, and nearly every time its because the pressure in the CH part of the system is low, just a case of letting more water in to raise the pressure.

our housing association fitted it around 10 years ago, and in the last 3 years is been very unreliable with many parts having to be fitted to keep it going.

now the temp is dropping, and the heating demand is more, it seems to use more gas than it did previously, despite everything checking out ok at its last service not long ago.

Its getting to the stage now where I know more about it than any engineers that call. :oops: [dont worry, I dont attempt any fix myself!]

nik161 said:
...just a case of letting more water in to raise the pressure...

Just a case of finding the leak and fixing it would be better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back