Lifting a drain grate

gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A drain in my garden has been getting clogged up and I'd like to lift the cover grate to inspect and hopefully give it a clean.
Any idea how I could get this off or is it non-removable?

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
The grating is fitted to a channel.
I think I can see the grating screw heads that tie the grating to the channel?
Simply unscrew and lift out - if its tight then carefully prise the grating out after removing the screws.
The screws should be SS or brass.

• Thanks
Reactions: gap
Thanks Vinn, sounds promising. Hadn't noticed any screw heads, but I'll have another look when I get home this evening.

Of course check carefully for screws to make sure but most of the plastic aco channels are simply clip in place. There is no special way to remove them, simply lever up one end and it should pop out.

Some of the galvanised ones have a hard to operate spring clip you need to press inside the channel but I have never seen a plastic one with such.

• Thanks
Reactions: gap
Sponsored Links
Of course it might not actually drain to anywhere.

Thanks all for your help. It turned out to be a plastic cover without any screws or clips. It came off in two parts after a few minutes of prising around the edges with a screwdriver. I think it must have been split when removed previously.
There is a drain hole at one end of the channel - not sure where it lead!
After cleaning the muck out it is working well again. I appreciate your advice. Pics for your reference.

Attachments

• bef.jpg
    bef.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 119
  • aft.jpg
    aft.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 138

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back