Lifting my heavy old cast iron radiator! Help please...

I might be over-simplifying things but to be honest I fail to see this as a major problem.

Trying to lift it in one go is indeed a problem but by doing it in many small steps it becomes a fairly simple task. All you need is a couple of wooden lever poles and a selection of wooden blocks to act as wedges and pivots

Place a couple of wooden pieces, say about 1" thick between the back of the radiator and the skirting. With a bit of effort by two guys you will then be able to rotate the radiator onto the blocks so that it is now standing 1" off the floor.

Once you have it vertical the lifting can be done by two people, one doing the lifts and the other inserting the packing pieces.

With a length of wood and a pivot you can lift each end of the radiator by small increments and slide further packers under the radiator. By this means you can gradually jack the radiator up to the desired height.

Sponsored Links
Safety advice is that max lift weight is limited to 25 kg.

Those rads can be 150 kg.

Tony

I've just seen all the replies! Thanks all for your help. And for the comedy! If only I could laugh.

Yes I'm an idiot for thinking I could somehow carry a massive cast iron radiator single handedly. In retrospect, not one of my finer moments.

I think the idea of jacking with lengths of wood is probably the answer. I had hoped an engine lift could work, but as was pointed out, you need to get the legs under the weight so the wall would get in the way. Perhaps could use one to get it vertical at least, and then somehow shuffle it along.

Well you can paint the wall and the back of the rad - only time it`ll get done :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Anyone free in Purley (Croydon) area that wants to come around and help me lift it in return for a couple of beers!?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back