Lifting patio slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've got some uneven patio slabs in my back garden and assume I just need to put some sand underneath to even them out but I can't lift the slabs!

They're in the middle - is there anyway to lift them without lifting a whole row from one end of the patio?

Any ideas greatfully appreciated.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Use the thin end of a crow bar or a large screwdriver and have another flat blade or a mattock handy. Prise it up with them and they will probably move the other ones slightly to open the gap, once its up enough get another blade under it and lift away. If your going to rebed them, remove whats there and make sure you use sharp snad, not building sand

Cheers Thermo - I did try that this afternoon with a large metal chisel type device I found in the toolbox but couldn't get enough 'wedge' without damaging the slab next to it.

I've had to lift some other slabs from the other end of the patio so have got plenty of sand!!!

I have been doing this job today, and used a spade to lift the slabs. No problems at all.
Incidentally, they were bedded on coal slack. Very popular and effective in the days when we all used coal. :D

Sponsored Links
A garden fork can be used if the gaps are big enough.
Should you put a layer of hardcore/gravel/stones under the sand?

if its only for foot traffic then a compacted bed of sharp sand is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back