Light bulb query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, with an LED you will typically get between 100 and 120 lumen per watt, but the control gear also uses power ...
I suppose that's true of any situation in which the 'light-producing element' works at ELV, whether we're talking about incandescent lamps/bulbs or LEDs - in both cases there will be power lost in whatever reduces the voltage from mains voltage to the voltage required by the light-producing element. However, in the case of a simple LED lamp/bulb, I would have thought that the power lost in a capacitor (and bridge rectifier) would be pretty minimal - which suggests to me that losses in the 'control gear' can be an appreciablt factor in bringing down the lumens/watt in a lamp/bulb in which that 'control gear' is just a capacitor and rectifier.
The next is they have to be able to run at 254 volt so using a simple capacitor means at 230 volt it is running under voltage so again another reason for low lumen per watt.
'Under-current', rather than 'under voltage', as far as the LED element was concerned, I would have said. However, if the manufacturers behave as usual, I would suspect that they may well quote the light output at a voltage higher than 230V!

Kind Regards, John

MOD: The OP was last seen on the 28th of Sept, therefore this thread has run it's course and some. Feel free to start another thread and we will try to stitch it together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back