Replace 4Ft T8Florescent Tube with Led Tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 4Ft T8 light in my kitchen and I am looking to convert this to LED to save on electric.

I have purchased a
LUCECO LED LINDAR TUBE - "Ideal engery saving retrofit for linear flurescent T8 tubes".

It was supplied with a LED starter.

I am not up to speed with what LED tubes require the ballast part of the light fitting removed.

Would this type tube and starter go straight into my existing light fitting with modification or would it go bang?

The installation advise states:
  • Replacement LED starter included for use with magnetic ballast circuits.
  • Retrofit also possible by removing the ballast from the circuit.
  • High frequency ballasts MUST be removed from the circuit and fitting wired to suit.

The installation advise in my opinion contradicts with it's self.

I also notice one end of the tube states "Do not power this end"

Please could someone confirm to me if I need to make modification to the light fitting to remove the ballast and only power one end of the tube.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think it's best to rewire the fitting completely for LED use.
Would I be correct in thinking it's as simple as cutting ballast out, wiring live and neutral to the tombstone (one end only) and earth to the chassis?

Thanks

Can you post the instructions which came with the tube. Also a picture of your existing fitting would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Ok will post a picture of the existing fixture when I get home thanks.

Attached is the enclosed instructions on a sticker and I have also located a pdf from the manufactures website.

As my light fitting has a starter I assume its safe to say it is a Magnetic Ballast?

Attachments

• 14521743351821701729886.jpg
    14521743351821701729886.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 150
  • t8-installation-instructions.pdf
    431.9 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
The instructions are quite clear:
"If the ballast is magnetic leave it as it is but remove and replace the starter. (See figure B)"

All you need to do is swap the starter for the dummy one, put the tube in - job done. No rewiring needed.

Cool thanks for confirming, I wasn't looking forward to a rewiring jobby. :)

Hello,

I have a 4Ft T8 light in my kitchen and I am looking to convert this to LED to save on electric.

You will indeed save electricity. You will also have a dimmer light. LEDs and fluorescent are about the same in lumens per watt. But LED tubes cost a lot more to replace when they fail.
To get similar light as your fluorescent you will probably need 2 LED tubes.

Last edited:
"If the ballast is magnetic leave it as it is but remove and replace the starter. (See figure B)"

All you need to do is swap the starter for the dummy one, put the tube in - job done. No rewiring needed.

Yes that will work but is the lazy mans way of doing it. Leaving the ballast in means power is wasted, the I squared R loss of the ballast. Better to bypass it.

Yes that will work but is the lazy mans way of doing it. Leaving the ballast in means power is wasted, the I squared R loss of the ballast. Better to bypass it.
Well yes of course, but it's certainly much simpler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back