LED Tubes replacing Fluorescent's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read that a led tube can replace a fluorescent with removing/bypassing the ballast.

Also seen that for example a 4' led tube having a much lower wattage than that of a fluorescent, yet read some old posts saying there are no savings between the two.

Is this correct

Sponsored Links
The LED tube is lower wattage and lower output. Lumens per watt is around the same. It also costs a lot more.

I've replaced some 6ft tubes with energizer LED ~£20+
You need to change the starter which is supplied.

Very pleased. Instant light.

A fluorescent tube lumen per watts vary, with a HF ballast they are far better than with magnetic type, however always quoted for magnetic so some where between 85 and 95 lumen per watt, LED is some where between 60 and 110 lumen per watt, however most the fluorescent replacements are 95 to 110 lumen per watt, so in real terms very little in output per watt.

Life time also depends if HF ballast or magnetic, and in the main with a HF ballast life time is about the same.

In order to be able to use without removing ballast the LED lamps are normally a lower output to fluorescent that it replaces so a 5200 lumen 5 foot fluorescent will likely be replaced with a 2200 lumen LED unit, or a 28W 2D (2010 lumen) with 12.5W 2D (1500 lumen) and although the tube may use 12.5W the whole assembly will likely take far more, as it does not allow for the ballast left in place. So the 22W (5 foot) and 12.5W (2D) are only valid when the ballast is removed, and often with 2D the ballast and tube holder are one unit so you can't by-pass the ballast.

However some times we don't need 5200 lumen, the 5 foot fluorescent is fitted to get spread of light, rather than quantity, so what the LED allows is for a lower output tube to be used, which in for example a long corridor may be a huge advantage, and they don't mind being switched off/on in the same way as a fluorescent so worked by PIR sensors turning the LED could be a huge saving.

However if you didn't want 2010 lumen from a 2D light you would simply fit the 16W version, so LED in a 2D makes no sense at all. How any one can say 1500 lumen = 2010 lumen I don't know, can't even get that result with imaginary numbers!

But if you look at coiled or folded fluorescent tubes made to look like a bulb, then we get completely different results. A 5 watt golf ball fluorescent does not give anywhere near the light output of a LED golf ball bulb. Plus you can dim a LED bulb in most cases. However the LED tends to send out light in one direction where the fluorescent does give out some light towards the base, so 5 x 5W LED with base at bottom reflecting light off a white ceiling will light the room very different to same 5 with base on the top.

We are told the LED lasts 2.5 times longer than the fluorescent, but a fluorescent with a HF ballast can last 3 times longer so in real terms they are the same, and with a magnetic ballast the 28W 2D in my kitchen lasted 13 years, and would have been left on most of the evening, so around 5 hours per day average, so looking at between 30 and 40 years for LED, the 5 foot tube I fitted lasted 18 months, in fact it is the only mains LED to date to fail. And can you see the shop assistances face when you return a 18 month old LED tube, they would return it under complaint, but would not replace it FOC, and at 20 years old likely the shop no longer exists. No I did not return it under complaint, if left on 24/7 it could have clocked up the hours, fact house was empty for 12 of the 18 months I can't prove.

So bulbs yes replace compact fluorescent with LED, tubes unless over size in first place, no keep to fluorescent.

Sponsored Links
So bulbs yes replace compact fluorescent with LED, tubes unless over size in first place, no keep to fluorescent.

This.

Most of my house is LED (with a few CFLs still in use), but I've got several 50+ year old magnetically ballasted fluorescent lights in my garage with T12 tubes I'm not planning on changing any time soon. All I've done to them is fit electronic starters to prolong the life of the tubes and to stop that annoying repeated flashing on startup.

Sadly modern fluorescent tubes don't last anywhere near as long as older ones, I can't say for sure whether they've been artificially limited to make LED look better, but they probably have. Also modern tubes are limited on the amount of mercury they can contain meaning they start up dim and take a minute or two to warm up. Modern HF ballasts are generally poor too, sometimes failing before the (original) tubes.

Old magnetic ballasts last, well, probably over 500,000 hours with old tubes lasting about 25,000 hours. I've seen LED tubes/fittings rated at only 20,000 hours.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back