Light Can't Switch Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a ceiling light in the kitchen which is controlled by a dimmer switch. When I turned the electricity back on the light came on but it can not be dimmed or switched off (unless using the trip switch). What have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
The standard ceiling rose acts as a junction box and the 'live' red wire from the fuse box or previous light comes in/or should come in to the middle plate, from the middle plate another red also now 'live' goes to your switch. Now the 'black' also live when the switch is on goes from the switch back to ceiling rose to the first plate. You then have your light between the first plate and the third plate and finally you have a neutral from the third plate back to the fuse box.
You have by-passed the switch in your wiring by either
(a) Taking the incoming 'live' to the first plate instead of the middle plate
or(b) having the light between the middle plate and the third plate instead of the first plate and the third plate.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Depends on how you have wired it (all the reds together, all the blacks together) if you did this then thats you answer....

If at the light fitting there are 3 conductors

RED / BLACK / COPPER (earth / bare)

Red to L (brown)
Black to N (blue)
Earth to Earth

If you have more than one cable there you need to find out which one is your switch wire (live when switched)......then get back to us

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back