Question about installing dimmer switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my living room I have 2x ceiling lights and 2x single light switches (one either end of room).

Either switch turns on/off both lights at the same time.

Now, I would like to install a dimmer switch in the room but i'm not sure quite what I need, and can't quite get my head around how this will work, if it will work that is??

Would I have to replace both single switches with a dimmer switch each end of the room or is it possible to replace just one single switch with one dimmer?

I can't work out - if say I have the lights on normally via the normal switch, then I want to dim them, if I then go push the dimmer switch (assuming i'll have to as the dimmer won't be "active"??) this will turn the lights off? meaning to be able to dim them I will have to push the dimmer again to turn them on then dim the lights?

Sorry if this is a stupid question/im missing something! :oops:

Sponsored Links
You can only have one dimmer - unless you buy an expensive master and slave unit.

Make sure you buy a two way dimmer as this is how your lights appear to be set up.

Look here on wiki //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting

RF Lighting does one on wiki as well but it is a little blurred - or have I been drinking....again ;)

Remember to photograph exactly how your switch is currently wired i.e. which cable goes to Common and which to L1 and L2.

Dimmers can either be push to start or turn to start - I prefer the ones that turn to start.

Thanks for the info.

So any idea how the lights will actually be affected with regards to which switch has been used to turn the lights on? :confused:

Thanks for the info.

So any idea how the lights will actually be affected with regards to which switch has been used to turn the lights on? :confused:

Only one light switch 'will be in charge' at any one time. So if you have been setting the light level with the dimmer and you turn the other switch to off - the lights will go off and on again at that set level until you adjust the dimmer switch again (does depend on whether you have a push button or turn button dimmer switch as to whether it is at a set level)

http://www.danlers.co.uk/dimmers/wddimmers.html

This diagram might explain a bit better it is the existing 2 way circuit you need to follow.

Sponsored Links
Dimmers can either be push to start or turn to start - I prefer the ones that turn to start.

How can a 2 way dimmer be a rotary switch? .......unless i've missed something a 2 way dimmer can only be push/push....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back