Light circuit going off, circuit breaker not popping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Tonight the light circuit in my kitchen has started to go off
(ie no power to it). The circuit breaker isn't popping but if i recycle it the lights work again. If I leave them on they stay on, but if i turn them off and leave for a few minutes they don't turn on again.

The only thing I have done is fit a new light switch on the same circuit a few days ago, but it has been fine until tonight.

Any ideas what could be causing it?

We have booked an electrician but it will be weeks before he can fully test the electric (previous owner had wired some lights with speaker wire so we thought it best to get everything fully tested).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Loose connection somewhere, probably at the loop terminal at the light you replaced.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will isolate the circuit and have a look tomorrow (bit dark now if I turn the lights off to check!).

Doesn't sound like a loose connection if cycling the lighting circuit MCB is making it work again only for it to fail when the switch is turned off and back on again.

I fail to see how cycling the MCB would re-establish a loose connection.

What type of light fitting is it and what type of switch did you fit?

Sponsored Links
Yes type of lights and lamps within them, type of original and replacement switch would be helpful.
Likely to be a loose connection, is it only the kitchen lights that perform this way and does the device (MCB) that protects the kitchen lights also protect other working lights in the house.
I would also consider checking out for any faulty transformers/drivers and/or even faulty lampholders.

It is possible that the warming up and cooling down of the circuit whilst in/out of use, could cause contacts and terminals to go from working to failure.

But you could have tranys/drivers that are starting to fail also. or even a dodge switch.
Have you tried putting old switch back on? And why was it replaced?

As you only recently changed the switch, I would concentrate my efforts there.

Modern wiring uses solid conductors that can break inside the insulation if they are stressed too much. Or there may just be a bad connection after you replaced the new switch.
Or, per the above, the switch may be faulty.

So I checked the switch and no loose connections. It has only happened once since last night but immediately after I rechecked wiring. The old switch was a plastic 2 gang 2 way switch (although only acting as a 2 gang 1 way using com and L1) and the new one one is a metal plate intermediate switch (hence the reason for replacing). I wired the original com to L1 (top) and the original L1 to L2 (bottom). the only addition was wiring the front plate to the mounting box. The circuit supplies the kitchen (spot lights in ceiling and under unit lights) as well as the lounge wall and centre lights.

As suggested next step, I suppose, is to re-fit old switch and see if I can replicate fault, if not then faulty switch. If still there I will check the pendant lights sets I fitted a few days before (although i didn't have any problems before fitting the switch a day or 2 later). Unless anyone can think of a better option.

Thanks

Why did you purchase an intermediate switch, they are not the same as a one way switch?
And I have never come across one with factory fitted two gangs.

They were spare from my Father in Law. It is a hamilton hartland 2 gang intermediate. I can't find a picture but the back is like this:

Switch back

If you are using them as a one way, you need to know which pairs are married to each other.

They seem to be working fine so pretty sure I have wired them correctly. Like said I will just have to start swapping bits out to see what could be causing it.

Time to get a competent electrician in i would say.

The cycling of the MCB making the lights work again is not normal and obviously if it was working fine before then something is wrong somewhere and not necessarily the switch.

We are chasing the one we booked up to see if he can come earlier. We will see what he finds!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back