Light circuit off at consumer board - but RCD / RCCB still tripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm removing an extractor fan from our WC, as it's just a toilet and sink and we never use hot water in there anyway...

The extractor is on the light circuit, but has it's own pull cord. I double checked by turning the fan and light on, then switching off the MCB. All good. I triple checked with a multi meter and all was 0. So after disconnecting I started checking for continuity so I knew which cable to pull on. Once sussed, I started wiggling it and pulling, at which point the RCD/RCCB tripped. I'm not great with all the consumer unit parts and what they're called, but it's a split unit and the left side tripped - which the same side as where I'd already turned off the MCB.

Think it'll probably be wise to get an electrician in to see what's what. Most the house lights are on a separate circuit so there's no rush.

But I'm really curious in the meantime....

- Is it possible to trip the RCD/RCCB by doing something on a circuit, even when the MCB for that circuit is off?

- If not, must I assume that something from another circuit is going on in the ceiling void?

Hope I'm making sense! Happy to add a couple of photos if it would help.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
- Is it possible to trip the RCD/RCCB by doing something on a circuit, even when the MCB for that circuit is off?
Yes, it is - I've done it myself! :)
Most 30mA RCD's will trip with a fault current of between 18 and 23mA.
With the MCB off, you can still create a neutral to earth fault greater than this.

Last edited:

Yes! The neutral remains connected and the small voltage difference between that and the earth, passing through the RCD, produces enough current flow to cause a trip - as you found.

That's all great to hear and along the lines(ish) of what I hoped was the case. But didn't want to risk it without being certain.

In terms of being certain, is it safe to replicate what happened (MCB off, touch earth and neutral and see if it trips again)? Or is there any potential risk?

As for finishing the job, I thought it would be as simple as:

- removing the cable that connects the pull cord to the fan itself
- and then removing the cable that connects the pull cord to the ceiling rose.

But please do correct me if I'm wrong and if I could cause problems, open cans of worms, etc. I'm confident with the practical side of doing it, but like to make doubly sure on the theory.

Thanks a million for the help

Sponsored Links
In terms of being certain, is it safe to replicate what happened (MCB off, touch earth and neutral and see if it trips again)? Or is there any potential risk?
Believe it or not, you would be contravening the Regulations to do it intentionally

Why an RCD can be tripped by a Neutral to Earth fault / short even though the MCB for the circuit is switched OFF

rcd trip 2018.jpg

I'll leave the job until tomorrow, but couldn't resist testing it out - for my satisfaction :) - and so had a go at touching earth to neutral and nothing happened. Did it with each of the three cables separately and no trip... Any ideas?

Ta

I'll leave the job until tomorrow, but couldn't resist testing it out - for my satisfaction :) - and so had a go at touching earth to neutral and nothing happened. Did it with each of the three cables separately and no trip... Any ideas?

Ta
It may depend on what else you had switched on in the house at the time!

But as the regs are NOT statutory it would not matter. Go ahead and do it for your own satisfaction.
Sound advice, may as well bin the Regs book then, are you saying no regs matter or just ones that you desire.
The regs there for a reason, I assume to prevent stressing and possibly damaging the Rcd.

One should use ones common sense. How would a neutral earth connection stress a RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back