Light coming through roof after work being, is this normal?

Sponsored Links
the first piece of light , has to be either one of the slates has slipped down, or the top is missing , this is more likely the case as the big dob of sticky.
He has obviously struggled to get the top of the slate onto the batten as it should be. so cut it off.
still cant see the underlay , even in the vid.

the first piece of light , has to be either one of the slates has slipped down, or the top is missing , this is more likely the case as the big dob of sticky.
He has obviously struggled to get the top of the slate onto the batten as it should be. so cut it off.
still cant see the underlay , even in the vid.
Thanks for the feedback, the underlay/felt only appears to cover the old chimney area - not very easy to see in the video, but I can definitely see it myself when peering down the slope.

Sponsored Links
Result! Roofer was back in and I am much happier with the results now, at least from the way it looks.

The second light point in my video took a bit more of convincing, but he did relent once I brought him up in the loft and showed exactly how it looked - that slate simply wasn't right! He had cut a completely random sized piece of slate and wedged it in there. All the slates appear to be correctly sized now, there is still some light gaps, but they are comparable to the rest of the roof - i.e., not actual spot lights, more faint lines.

The sealant on the last slates was a hill he was ready to die on, though. He was very confident in it's capabilities and longevity, even when I mentioned lead tags (I've been reading...)... He said the sealant was mostly being used to fix the tile in place, not stop water ingress. I thought I had pushed him enough at this point, either way, I can't see any more sealant bleeding through the loft, so happy with that.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 13.08.47.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 13.08.47.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 13.17.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 13.17.51.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 109
And no sign of rivets in the tails of those mock slates- without them you may get problems with windblown rain and/or them rattling in the breeze (though roof pitch looks fairly steep so you may get away with it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back