Light dimming hairdryer

Stayed in my parents' caravan recently, it is a static with a 16 amp supply on 1.5mm flex but has about 16 amps of electric heaters in it (fitted by a previous owner, and unmetered by the site, it does also have GCH). In the bedroom is a single 60w ceiling light on a dimmer. We had it on very low one night (baby asleep in next room) while we got into bed, and one of the heaters stats knocked on, halving the brightness of the light! If the light was on brighter we found it didn't dim as much. It would appear that the effects of voltage drop are emphasised by a dimmer at a low setting. On a caravan site voltage drop is usually worse than on a normal domestic supply due to the fairly flimsy supplies used and distances from the meter/cutout/transformer. And made worse by idiots filling their vans with electric heaters :mrgreen:

But even in my house if I have the dimmer in the lounge on low, it is forever flickering. Partly probably because the dimmer isn't the best quality, but partly due to voltage drop when appliances switch on/off locally.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back