Light Fitment Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced most of the lights in my home, but have never come across a light like the one I've just bought.

Basically it only has a transformer in the base that screws to the ceiling with a L and N connection but no earth. The corresponding L and N that come out of the transformer and what really made me ask the question as the L goes out to the lights and the N is screwed to the fitting. The wiring in my house is a loop so I've got one wire coming in, one going out and one to the switch with all lives connected together, the in and out conected and the switch on its own and all earths together. All lights that I have fitted before I have simply connected the earth to an earth terminal on the light, the switch N to one of the connections and the two in and out N on the other and the 3 lives have been connected together and insulated.

With this fitting does it matter which way around the negatives, the two together to the N and the swtich to the L or doesn't it matter?

The light has the square symbol showing its double insulated, but the whole light is metal so I can't get my head around no earth?

Sponsored Links
The transformer is likely double insualted (230v), and the output from it 12v SELV, which requires no earth. The 'neutral' from this selv supply can be connected to the chassis of the light if that is required for the lamps to operate. With many wacky lights out there, this is fairly common. Earthing this would be dangerous.

You simply put your earths in a terminal block, similarly as you do the reds.

As you know, the two blacks are the neutral, and the single black marked red is the switched live.

cheers for that, just wanted to make sure as I hadn't seen a light like that before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back