Light fitting inside partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a partition wall at the moment and I have bought a cabinet (one of these http://cbsethumb.blob.core.windows.net/534x389/51/07/92/ikea-bertby-2634025.jpg) which I plan to set back into the wall so the front of the cabinet doesn't stick out as far.

I plan to install a 240v fire-rated LED downlight. The top of the light "can" would poke out of the top of the cabinet into the partition. I was just wondering whether this would be acceptable as far as building regs is concerned?

Sponsored Links
There will be a void above the cabinet but it will be an enclosed cavity between the vertical studs. I'm not planning on fitting vents.

Is it you doing the electrical work or another (hopefully an electrician)?
Not saying you cannot DIY it, but you ask about building regs, so a lot to consider.
Such as cable routes, circuit rating, RCD protection and proving safe!

Sponsored Links
I'll be doing the install. I'm doing a fair amount of work all through the house and the LABC will be called in on some of it, so I'll probably get them to check and certify the electrics.

I'll be doing the install. I'm doing a fair amount of work all through the house and the LABC will be called in on some of it, so I'll probably get them to check and certify the electrics.

They will only be required for notifiable work and that would need to be applied for prior to starting it.

Check the instructions for the light, there is probably a clearance between the light and the plasterboard and unless the wall is unusually thick there is unlikely to be enough clearance.

Yeah, clearance between the body of the lamp and the plasterboard on both sides was a bit of a concern. Also the amount of heat that might be dumped into the cavity - which was the reason I thought the building regs might have had something to say about it.

Having thought more I think I'll change plans and use a low voltage led lighting strip inside the cabinet and mount the driver up in the loft. That should avoid any significant heat sources inside the cabinet or wall cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back